Bruno Mars, Kesha, Kendrick Lamar See Streaming Gains After 2018 Grammys
01 Febrero 2018, 10:25 | Fidele Alvizo
Bruno Mars won six prizes thanks to his album 24K Magic. Image credit AP
In the wake of the #MeToo and #TimesUp movements, topics of gender equality and sexual conduct were thrown into the spotlight in Hollywood.
In another shocker of the night, hit Spanish-language song "Despacito" by Luis Fonsi, Daddy Yankee and Justin Bieber came into the Grammys with three nominations in the best pop duo/group performance category, record of the year and song of the year categories and lost in each. Lamar had opened the program with a provocative, politically-charged performance that featured contributions from U2 and Dave Chapelle.
In a way, the awards given out, while disconcertingly shunning even powerful female contenders like Lorde, reflect what listeners celebrate today.
For someone who is as big a music fan as I am, I have an astonishingly low level of respect for the Recording Academy. "And people need to see and understand how the process works".
The 60th Annual Grammy Awards - the self-proclaimed biggest night in music - aired on Sunday.
While the award show brought tear-jerking, jaw-dropping and awe-inspiring performances from top tier artists like Kendrick Lamar, Kesha, Childish Gambino and Lady Gaga, it failed to take into consideration the importance of their work. It was by many accounts the biggest song of 2017. Kesha's performance became a kind of symbolic exorcism of her years-long struggle to escape a contract with Dr. Luke, a producer who she claims serially abused her during their long-running business partnership.
Logic gave an eye-watering performance alongside Alessia Cara and Khalid in the hit single "1-800-273-8255" a song dedicated to suicide prevention. "Folks who are true to the tradition do as Bruno Mars suggests, which is get people up and moving". Was her album too politically charged for the snowflakes that make up the majority of the Recording Academy?
But rap mogul Jay-Z, who led with eight nominations, left New York's Madison Square Garden empty-handed. Know about the rest of the category of this award. Since 2013, 91% of all Grammy nominees have been male, leaving only a shocking 9% of women nominees. Pairing the new generation of music stars with some of the legendaries was a recurring theme and those collaborations did not disappoint. "Together, we can build a world which is destined to be untied" the rapper said, ending the show.
That would be a fair response if Sunday's show hadn't made time for: three appearances by Bono; a four-minute performance of "Tiny Dancer" by Elton John and Miley Cyrus; and a sketch involving Sting, and host James Corden.
Mars won six Grammys in all, including Album of the Year, Best R&B Album, and Record of the Year for 24K Magic, and Best R&B Performance, Best R&B Song, and Song of the Year for That's What I Like.
Alessia Cara won for best new artist. But women - especially those of color - were, and have often been, overlooked.
The most resonating part of the performance was the sound of gunshots as the dancers fell one by one. His column Despite all the Amputations runs alternate Tuesdays this semester.
Breitbart Chooses Trump Over Bannon — The Reckoning
A day earlier, seeking to refute Wolff's suggestion that he lacked stability, Trump called himself a "very stable genius". He repeatedly conflicted with members of Trump's inner circle, including Trump's son-in-law and adviser Jared Kushner .
Signs with Tottenham — Lucas Moura
Interestingly Harry Kane (7.85) is the only Spurs player who averages a better rating in the Premier League this campaign. Phase two of making the grade begins with Manchester United's visit to Wembley tomorrow morning (Singapore time).
FBI deputy director abruptly steps down
Some guy stapled together scenes from 127 movies to create this cover of The Proclaimer's 1988 song "I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)". A slew of revelations on Monday may amount to a turning point in the special counsel Robert Mueller's Russia investigation.
Steve Bannon was a 'bad hire — Scaramucci
I never lost a judgment, paid a settlement, or anything of the sort - in fact, none of the cases ever even went to court. Wolff relies most heavily on comments from Bannon who claims to have staunchly opposed firing FBI Director James Comey.
Trump stays on script, but for how long — Editorial
Trump "was advantaged by inheriting a growing economy", Hoyer said , adding that Democrats were "disappointed by the speech". And then there's Melania's fashion selection: an all-white Christian Dior pantsuit and Dolce & Gabbana blouse .